• Inhuman attention towards details in an unforgettable structure
• Immaculate sophistication even with smallest elements
• Esoteric vocal by Kaita re-used in unique ways
The STMPD-esque Electro House tunes has become an inescapable trend if one is even remotely interested in this domain. Yet, “Chasing” managed to awe me with its distinctive concept. The brainchild behind this idea is the Finnish producer DANÊL, who teamed up with talented vocalist Kaita for manufacturing a spooky collaboration, fitting with the Halloween theme considering its peculiarities firsthand. Alright, here’s the analysis.
As said before, this off-shoot of House genre with glitchy elements has been a point of strength for STMPD and its reputed roster, especially Julian Jordan and Seth Hills. It’s an innovative sector, as it leaves a lot of space to be creative, having vague boundaries (absolutely contrary to styles like Slap House). Thus, even if the increasing amount of usual copycats has been somewhat disappointing, it is not uncommon to stumble upon an unpredictable one. Such is “Chasing”, standing out with a genial approach: an obscure, dark and tenebrous twist on Electro House. The meticulous design is totally out of the box, and hence here are my favourites about it:
- Kaita’s vocal is almost terrifying in its own nature
- Unexpected elements in the first breakdown, including a carillon and a mysterious flute
- Energetic bassline that remains in background, driving the rest
- Kaita’s voice transforms to inhuman whispers in the drops, which I found both sweet and arcane.
- First glitchy drop with sudden switches as the genre requires: energetic at the right moments.
- Final Midtempo twist with a completely different structure, additional items and the vocal loop re-invented from a new perspective.
Dance music has always been my fixation, and I rarely find such obsessive care given about constructing unprecedented blueprints that arranges a ton of elements altogether without discordance. The outcome is balanced and coherent inclusive of its remarkable characteristics. DANÊL, Kaita and Halla Records have successfully forged a gem, for which a score of ninety plus is deserving for its gripping specifics and outstanding performance!