is a feature from EDM All Day dedicated to the mellower side electronic music. We bring you our favorite therapeutic selections — old and new — in an attempt to allete the agonizing effects a long weekend partying.
1. Opening up Vol. 144 is the first original production from Falcon Punch in nearly a year. The producer’s contribution to new “Fresh Baked” compilation series, “Cream” features an easygoing, shuffling backbeat that sets the track’s energy early on. Watery chord patches provide a foundation for the producer to introduce funky guitars, jittering leads, and even some twinkling piano lines.
2. “Wisp” is the latest from Philadelphia based produce and an excellent introduction to the up-and-coming producer’s style. A decidedly downtempo affair, the track wobbles and glistens in absolutely no hurry. The producer also keeps things somewhat hazy, allowing its disparate elements to bleed into one another as it languidly rolls along.
3. At the midway point Vol. 144, Open Ocean fers up “Astray.” A larger, more contemplative track than previous entries, “Astray” relies on muddled vocal samples, swirling around each other, for melodic content as well as a guiding light. Open Ocean manages to feature wide open sections as well as more dense ones, featuring thudding kick rums and chiming cymbals to drive the production forward.
4. A collaboration between sample-based producers Yung Aloha and Yung Bae, “Rainbows” provides a breezy vibe rarely seen outside tropical house. A bouncing bassline and effortless vocal samples combine to form the backbone an undeniably ebullient disco-tinged original. The track never strays from its midtempo pocket, allowing flutes, chimes, and horns keep to listener’s interested throughout.
5. Rounding f Vol. 144 is “why dont we talk anymore” from Rage Logic. Similar to Instupendo’s entry, this track has haziness to it, though Rage Logic’s original opts for a more energetic, saccharine energy. Busy drum patterns provide the production with enough oomph to propel the track forward, all while maintaining its shimmering aesthetic.